Sunday, November 8, 2009

A monster with no voice: the synopsis.

Don't bug me.

I am just finishing up the rough draft synopsis for
The Seduction of Phaeton Black.

Sometime in either the recent or distant past, agents, editors and contest directors
decided the very best way to aggravate a writer would be to invent something called a synopsis. And I would never spend a moment of my time on the beast, if it wasn't for the fact that those same agents, editors and contest directors require them. All I can say is, once I am finished with this latest synopsis, I will be able to enjoy life again.

Meanwhile, I stare at the writing and think, how does anyone ever sell anything based on a few pages of present tense narration? But I keep slogging along, trying to make those few pages as interesting and as well written as possible.

I suppose writers who enjoy tons of narration/internal thought don't mind writing a synopsis. But for those of us who prefer to tell most of the story through character dialogue/interaction/action in relatively deep POV, the process of synopsis writing is painful.

It has taken me a full seven day week to complete a 14 page synopsis for Phaeton and it's not over. In a few days I will have to go back and revisit, revise, and edit down.

I can't think about it.

Okay, I am finished with my rant/whine/vent session. Happy now. See the smiley face? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment