Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Yard Men Series: Four hot new novels in the works.

The Yard Man: An Affair with Mr. Kennedy

The Seduction of Phaeton Black

The Carnal Sins of Raphael

The Miss Education of Doctor Exeter


I am currently writing several historical romance novels under the series name: The Yard Men. Set in late Victorian London, the crime solving agents of Scotland Yard have never been more wickedly sexy or as brilliantly clever. No bumbling detectives in my Special Branch. Or Secret Branch.


Speaking of Special and Secret Branch, let's get these two divisions of Scotland Yard straight.


Special Branch novels are romantic suspense stories that incorporate elements of Steampunk, including an assortment of gadgetry, (sometimes fantastic gadgetry) a good deal of action/suspense/crime solving and sensuous love scenes. The heroes are clever, enigmatic, alpha males, like Zeno Kennedy and Raphael Lewis. The heroines are vibrant, independent women who are resilient and strong in surprising ways. These books spend more time on the romance (suspense plot secondary) and the relationships end HEA.


Secret Branch is a division of Scotland Yard that is unseen to the outside world. Only a few key agents are even aware of its existence. The novels are paranormal or occult detective stories that feature a darker anti-hero, who often hooks up with an anti-heroine. Together, they solve crimes and disruptions created by all manner of unearthly creatures. The love scenes are spicy/sensuous and the relationship resolution, HFN. The heroes of Secret Branch are brilliant, troubled, and often have special abilities/powers to perceive/bend reality. Phaeton Black and Doctor Exeter are examples of Secret Branch agents. The heroines of these extraordinary men are bold, spirited women who are as intelligent as they are sensuously adventurous.


So, why do I feel the need to discuss the structural components (divisions) of The Yard Men Series? I think it is because they straddle a number of subgenres. And is that a good thing??


The question is––is this genre mixing a problem for the reader? As a paranormal reader, do you read much historical suspense? And historical readers, do you read historical paranormal? (I know there are many timeshift books out there set at least partially in a historical time period.)


Love to hear your thoughts and comments on this matter of straddling/mixing genres.





3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I oder a copy of all of them and you send Mr. Black and the good doctor my way?

    I like the idea.

    Mason
    www.acMason.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was fortunate to judge the Seduction of Phaeton Black in two contests. It was my favorite book of all the contests I judged last year. I'm very excited that I'm going to actually get to read the whole book someday soon. I've been waiting to see this news; I knew it was inevitable.

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete