Friday, December 11, 2009

My crit partner is a sadist.

So after weeks of badgering, my crit partner convinced me to enter the I Heart Harlequin writing contest. I caved and wrote a chapter and synopsis one week before the deadline. I even managed to dredge up a plot that worked without giving me too much heartburn/acid reflux.

I do not write contemporary, nor do I generally dream up the kind of plot-lite stories that are the staple of the Harlequin Presents or Modern Heat lines. And this kind of writing is more difficult than you can imagine, because it requires a great deal of emotional character angst shoveled into a well worn story line. What I like about Harlequin editors is they come right out and tell the contest participants not to write anything too fresh or creative. (What a relief.) They want you to use the time tested plots "we have all come to know and love––just change up the characters a bit." Well, at least they're honest.

Here is a kind of sample scenario:
Handsome Rex Ruthless billionaire, coerces young attractive waitress, Dixie Doosey into sleeping with him. Either that or he will foreclose on her Grandpa Gabby's ranch. Then somehow (don't ask how, it's just too unbelievable) the rich hunky dunkster realizes he has fallen in love (sigh). Now he must do everything in his bank account to win her back, like pay off the huge tax lien on grandpa's property. Then the enchanting waitress will have sex with him again, oh no, I got that wrong––I mean so that the she will marry him. HEA.

By the way, the story above was not what I wrote. If I had written the love tale above, I might have won.

There is an alternate plot that revolves around a love child custody battle and heroine abduction but you don't really want to read that blurb, do you?

So, that's it. Needless to say, I didn't win. My crit partner is sad about the fact that I lost, because she wanted me to win badly. I suspect it would have given her great pleasure to see me struggle to complete a 55,000 word Modern Heat manuscript with the help of a Harlequin editor (for a whole year).

Boing. (The sound of my brain imploding.)

My crit partner is a sadist and likes to see her friends and loved ones tortured. :-)

2 comments:

  1. Jill: if it's any consolation, I never win contests. Snowflakes would float in hell before such a miracle. I grind my teeth, try not to snivel or sound like sour grapes. You're mega-talented and maybe... just maybe... you're meant for the mainstream. I just know your stuff will land on the bestseller list.

    I like big-time neurotics and really messy situations myself, if I'm writing.

    Hang in there, it's happening for you. My mentor used to say, "Trust the process." Trust that your excellent writing will attract the attention it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I didn't know where else to put this so I'm putting it here. Big congrats on The Yard Man GH nom. You don't know me (and vice versa) but I read the excerpt on your blog, was imediately sucked into the story and immediately taken by Phaeton. Very best of luck to you. Hope to see the book in print in the near future!
    -- Terri

    ReplyDelete